If you’re looking for a unique and exotic cat breed, you might be interested in the Sphynx cat. This hairless cat is known for its wrinkled skin, large ears, and expressive eyes. But how much does a Sphynx cat cost in India? And what are the factors that affect its price? In this blog post, we’ll answer these questions and more.
Sphynx Cat Price in India
The Sphynx cat is not a common breed in India, so finding a reputable breeder can be challenging. According to some sources, the price range for a Sphynx cat in India is typically between Rs. 30,000 and Rs. 1 lakh or more. However, this may vary depending on the location, quality, and availability of the cat.
Some factors that influence the price of a Sphynx cat are:
- Breed quality: A purebred Sphynx cat with a pedigree certificate and a good health history will cost more than a mixed-breed or a cat with unknown origins. A show-quality Sphynx cat with champion bloodlines can cost even more, up to Rs. 5 lakh or more.
- Age: A kitten will usually cost more than an adult cat, as kittens are in higher demand and require more care and vaccinations. However, an older cat may have lower maintenance costs and be already spayed or neutered.
- Color and pattern: Some colors and patterns are more rare and desirable than others, such as solid black, blue-eyed white, or tortoiseshell. These cats may command a higher price than more common colors like cream or tabby.
- Gender: Male cats tend to be larger and more muscular than female cats, which may make them more appealing to some buyers. However, female cats may have better temperaments and be easier to train. The gender of the cat may affect its price by a few thousand rupees.
- Location: The availability and demand of Sphynx cats may vary by region. In some areas, there may be more breeders and buyers than others, which can affect the supply and demand of the cats. The transportation costs may also add to the price of the cat if you have to travel to another city or state to get it.
Sphynx Cat Monthly Cost in India
Apart from the initial purchase price, owning a Sphynx cat also involves ongoing expenses for its care and maintenance. Some of the monthly costs you need to consider are:
- Food: Sphynx cats have a high metabolism and need more food than other cats. They also need a high-quality diet that is rich in protein and low in carbohydrates. You can expect to spend around Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 4,000 per month on food for your Sphynx cat.
- Litter: Sphynx cats need a clean and comfortable litter box that is changed regularly. You can use any type of litter that suits your preference and budget, but make sure it is dust-free and unscented to avoid irritating your cat’s skin. You can expect to spend around Rs. 500 to Rs. 1,000 per month on litter for your Sphynx cat.
- Grooming: Sphynx cats may not have fur, but they still need regular grooming to keep their skin healthy and clean. They produce more oil than other cats, which can cause dirt and bacteria to accumulate on their skin. They also need their ears, eyes, and nails cleaned regularly. You can groom your Sphynx cat at home or take it to a professional groomer once in a while. You can expect to spend around Rs. 1,000 to Rs. 2,000 per month on grooming products and services for your Sphynx cat.
- Vet: Sphynx cats need routine vet visits for vaccinations, deworming, flea and tick prevention, and general health check-ups. They may also need special tests for genetic diseases like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) or skin conditions like dermatitis. You can expect to spend around Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 4,000 per month on vet bills for your Sphynx cat.
- Toys and accessories: Sphynx cats are very playful and curious, so they need a lot of toys and accessories to keep them entertained and stimulated. They also need a warm and cozy bed, a scratching post, a collar and tag, a carrier, and other essentials. You can expect to spend around Rs. 1,000 to Rs. 2,000 per month on toys and accessories for your Sphynx cat.
The total monthly cost of owning a Sphynx cat in India can range from Rs. 6,500 to Rs. 13,000, depending on your lifestyle and preferences. This does not include any unexpected costs like emergencies, surgeries, or boarding.
why sphynx cats expensive
Sphynx cats are one of the most expensive cat breeds in the world. There are several reasons for their high price tag. First, they are rare and hard to breed, as they have a limited gene pool and require careful selection and health testing.
Second, they need special care and attention, as they lack fur and are sensitive to temperature changes and skin infections. Third, they are very popular and in high demand, as many people are attracted by their unique appearance and personality.
Therefore, if you want to buy a Sphynx cat, you should be prepared to pay between Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 1,00,000, depending on the quality and pedigree of the cat.
why sphynx cat hairless
The Sphynx cat is a breed of cat that is known for its lack of fur. This trait is caused by a genetic mutation that affects the keratinization of the hair follicle, making the hair very short and curly or absent altogether.
The Sphynx cat originated from selective breeding of hairless cats that were found in Canada and Minnesota in the 1960s and 1970s. The Sphynx cat has a skin that resembles chamois leather, with various colors and patterns. The Sphynx cat also has large ears, eyes, and paws, and a long tail.
Because the Sphynx cat has no fur to insulate it, it has a higher body temperature and seeks out warm places. The Sphynx cat also needs regular bathing to remove the excess oils from its skin.
Is a Sphynx Cat Worth It?
A Sphynx cat is not a cheap pet to own, but it can be a rewarding and fulfilling one. Sphynx cats are known for their affectionate, loyal, and intelligent personalities. They love to cuddle, play, and interact with their human companions. They are also very adaptable and can get along with other pets and children.
However, a Sphynx cat also requires a lot of attention, care, and commitment. They are not low-maintenance cats and need regular grooming, vet visits, and stimulation. They are also sensitive to temperature changes and need a warm and comfortable environment. They are not suitable for people who are allergic to cats or who have busy schedules.
List of sphynx cat breeders in India
Here are some resources that might help you find Sphynx cat breeders in India:
- Mother of Sphynxes international cattery: This is an international cattery located in Thailand that delivers Sphynx kittens and cats worldwide, including India.
- Bestforpets: This site provides information about the price of a Sphynx cat in India, which can vary depending on several factors such as location, breeder reputation, age, gender, and color.
- Bubbly Pet: This site lists some of the most reputable Sphynx breeders.
- Top Pet Products: This site provides tips to help you find a reputable Sphynx cat breeder in India.
- TICA (The International Cat Association): This site lists breeders who have signed the TICA Breeder Code of Ethics.
Please remember to do your research and ensure that the breeder you choose is ethical and certified. It’s important that they can provide guarantees about the breed’s purity with the Sphynx cat pedigree, as well as all necessary health checks. Happy searching!
why are sphynx cats so ugly
Sphynx cats are a breed of hairless cats that have a distinctive appearance. Some people may find them ugly because they are not used to seeing cats without fur, or because they associate fur with cuteness and warmth. However, sphynx cats have many qualities that make them attractive and lovable to their owners.
They are very affectionate, intelligent, playful, and loyal. They also have a unique personality and a sense of humor. Sphynx cats are not really bald, but have a thin layer of downy hair that feels like suede. They come in a variety of colors and patterns, and their skin can change with the seasons or the temperature.
Sphynx cats are not hypoallergenic, as they still produce dander and saliva, but they may be suitable for people who are allergic to cat fur. Sphynx cats require regular grooming, such as bathing, ear cleaning, and nail trimming, to keep their skin healthy and prevent infections.
They also need a warm environment and clothing to protect them from the cold. Sphynx cats are not for everyone, but they are certainly not ugly. They are beautiful in their own way, and they deserve respect and love like any other cat.
where does the sphynx cat come from
The sphynx cat is a breed of cat that has very little or no fur, due to a natural genetic mutation. The first sphynx cat was born in Toronto, Canada in 1966, and was named Prune. He was bred with his mother and other hairless cats to create the sphynx breed.
The sphynx cat has a wrinkled skin that shows the color and pattern of its coat, if it had one. It also has large ears, eyes, and paws, and a long tail. The sphynx cat is very friendly, playful, and affectionate, and likes to be close to its human companions.